I will still call this Crema de Fruta, but I know some people (or my fellow Filipinos) may argue about this and say that “No, it can’t be, it’s danish” . Okay, okay.
Here’s a little story about Crema de Fruta as I see it evolve in Philippines.
The first time I came to know this dessert, this crema de fruta consists of a layer of sponge cake, pastry cream and fruit cocktail and usually bought from bakeries like Goldilocks. Since oven / baking is not an ordinary household thing in Philippines, it was then the star of the desserts that time. Then, Graham Crackers came and make this dessert easy by using the graham crackers instead of sponge cake and a combination of condensed milk and cream instead of pastry cream, thus giving each Filipino household the capability to make this dessert at home at a cheaper cost. Therefore, the No-Bake Crema de Fruta was born and from then on each home every Christmas or New Year have this dessert on their table. The end. 🙂
So there, I guess, making use of puff pastry instead of sponge cake or grahams will make this a crema de fruta too 🙂 another variation, probably.
so, here’s how I do my version.
- 24 pcs Puff Pastry Squares (to make 12, 3″ round cups or you may use puff pastry shells)
- 850 g canned Fruit Cocktail, drained
- 1 cup fresh milk
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp vanila extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 tbsp cornstarch or 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter, room temperature
Drain the fruit cocktail well. Set aside.
To Prepare the Puff Pastry Squares, watch the video below
Bake the shells per package directions. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a small sauce pan, put all the ingredients then stir.
- Cook until it thickens and bubble over low heat while continuously stirring.
- Set aside and cool completely before use.
To Assemble :
- Get one of your shells, fill it with pastry cream then top with fruit cocktail. Do all the same until you finished your shells. Its already good on its own or if you want it fancier, you can put a whipped cream on top of fruit cocktail and add cherry on top.
- You can eat it right away or chill before serving.
For NO BAKE Crema de Fruta, click the photo below.