In Philippines, this dish is called Chicken Pastel, just like chicken pot pie, this also has pie crust and goes into the oven for final cooking. But since, most of the household in the Philippines do not have ovens, the crust part is usually omitted and eaten as a main dish partnered with rice rather than a one dish meal itself. The chicken and vegetable are cut into larger pieces than bite size and sometimes hotdogs or sausages were added. This contains no wine or any herbs that a usual chicken potpie have.
The recipe I’m going to share with you is how I prepare ours in our home. You will notice that instead of using a pie crust, I will be using puff pastry, because it is easier and more convenient for me. I do not keep a whipping cream in my pantry since it has a shorter shelf life once opened so I’ll be using a combination of milk and cream cheese spread (the one in jar). This way I can control the richness of the sauce.
So, let’s start 🙂
- 250g chicken breast
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small potato, cubed
- 1 small onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 250g frozen mix vegetables
- mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2-3 tbsp cream cheese (in jar or in block form, or labneh)
- puff pastry (enough to line the bottom, side and top of an 8″ springform pan)
- egg wash
- shredded mozarella and cheddar cheese (or any cheese you prefer)
- Cut the chicken breast into bite size. Season with salt and pepper, set aside.
- In a skillet with high sides, on medium heat, brown the chicken pieces in oil and butter. Add onion and garlic. Cook until fragrant.
- Toss in the skillet the potatoes,mushrooms and mix veggies. Cover and let cook for 2 minutes or until the juices come out.
- In a small bowl. combine flour, milk and cream cheese.
- Pour the milk and cheese mixture and stir. Taste and adjust accordingly. Simmer for 5 minutes until the veggies and the chicken are cooked.
- At this point, the sauce should be thick but not as thick as a paste. If this happens, pour some HOT water or chicken stock to thin. If it still thin, make some more of the milk-cheese mixture then add gradually until you reach the desired consistency.Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line the bottom and side of your 8″ springform pan with puff pastry. Poke several times with fork the bottom of your pan to prevent it from puffing while baking.
- Fill the pan halfway through with the filling and put some cheese, then pour the remaining all the way up leaving 1/4″ from the rim of your crust. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover the pan with puff pastry, sealing the side with a fork by pressing it firmly. Make a slit at the center of the pan so that the moisture can escape. Brush with egg wash.
Bake until golden brown.
If you want an all VEGETABLE POT PIE OR PASTEL, just remove the chicken pieces and throw in any veggies you like. 🙂
Serve and enjoy!