Do you want to know secret ingredient I learned from Chef John for that crunchy onion rings?
- 2 yellow onion, medium, sliced to 1/4″ thick rings
- 1 cup cold beer
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp instant mashed potato
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- panko or japanese bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- Cut the onions by 1/4″ thick rings, set aside.
- Prepare two bowls, one for the bread crumbs and on the other bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients from cold beer down to salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat your pan with oil for deep frying.
- Dip your ring in the beer mixture then dredge in bread crumbs. Repeat until all the rings are coated. Put in a tray ’til ready to fry.
- Fry each ring until golden brown, transfer to a wire rack or to a plate lined with paper towels.
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
Instead of beer, you can also use sparkling water, sprite or 7Up.
You want something else? replace onion with SQUID and you’ll have Calamari Rings 🙂
Many Thanks to Chef John of Food Wishes