Magandang Umaga! (Good Morning)
Meet the Philippines’ beef jerky, Filipino Beef Tapa.
- 800g beef (the thinner, the better)
- 1 bulb of garlic, finely minced
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Slice the beef thinly and tenderize using meat mallet. Put in a separate bowl.
- In another bowl, combine garlic, honey, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Mix until the sugar dissolved.
- Add the marinade to the beef. Portion according to serving pieces and freeze.
- Marinate for a minimum of 24hrs.
Over medium low heat, put 2 to 3 tbsp water add the beef tapa. Cover and let simmer, before the water evaporates, add oil to fry the tapa.
If you want a strong garlic flavor, you can add more garlic and use garlic oil instead.
If you don’t like a sweet tapa, omit honey and sugar.