(My) hubby approved kind of pesto 🙂 mild but tasty. budget-friendly too.
- 450g frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp slivered almonds (i used raw)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Thaw the spinach in its original packaging. Transfer contents to a bowl.
- In a food processor, put the garlic and almonds and process until a paste-like texture is formed, turn the processor off and add the spinach, lemon and lemon zest. Turn the processor on and add the oil and water as the processor is running, turn off the processor. Add the parmesan cheese and stir with a spatula.
- Transfer to an airtight container and put to fridge until ready to use.
Be gentle on processing the spinach, whiz just until combined, or you’ll end up like the picture above, too fine texture of pesto. Remember the spinach used is frozen, be gentle.
Mine came out like a minced spinach, but it taste as good as basil pesto. 😉
This is a tuna pesto pasta, 1 can of tuna in sunflower oil plus the pesto sauce. 🙂 yum!
Thanks to Martha Stewart