Traditionally puto is made of rice flour with water and then fermented in clay pots for days before steaming. But nowadays, regular flour is being used to lessen the time in making puto.
So, here is an easy recipe for equally delicious and fluffy puto 🙂
makes 20 regular sized puto or 1 8″ round pan
- 1 cup (120g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp evaporated milk
- extra melted butter for greasing the molds
- cheese or salted egg for topping
- Prepare the steamer.
- In a big bowl combine the first 4 ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- In another bowl combine the last 4 ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and whisk lightly.
- Grease 20 puto molds (or 1 8″ round pan).
- Pour the batter into puto molds (or individual silicone muffin cups) 3/4 full and steam for 10-15mins over medium high heat.
- If you like, top the puto with cheese a minute before the end of steaming time. Remove from steamer.
- Let the puto cool for few minutes then unmold.
- Food color can be added.
- Salted Eggs or Cheese can be used as toppings.
- Food flavorings like Ube, Pandan or Muscovado can be added as well.
- The liquid can be pure water or pure milk or half water and half milk.
To prevent the water from dropping to the puto, wrap the cover of the steamer with clean cheesecloth or any clean cotton cloth to absorb the moisture.
best served with soup or paired with coffee