Winter, spring, summer or fall… i love ice cream 🙂 let’s eat!
- 400ml milk (evaporated, whole milk or low fat)
- 130g granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 250g thick cream
- 350 creamy labneh (Kiri brand, or Philadephia creamcheese block(250g))
- strawberries, chopped
- strawberry syrup (homemade or store-bought)
- golden oreos, graham crackers or digestive biscuits, chopped (optional)
- cheesecake slice, chopped (optional)
- Prepare your ice cream machine per your manufacturer’s manual.
- In a bowl, combine the milk, sugar and salt. Stir until the granules dissolves.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the milk mixture, cheese / labneh and thick cream. Mix over medium speed for 2 minutes. Transfer to a container with lid and let sit in fridge for a minimum of 4 hours to overnight.
- Churn the mixture for 20 to 25 minutes or until almost set. Stir in chopped strawberries, cheesecake bits and biscuits then very gently stir in the strawberry syrup, we want to make strawberry ripples as much as possible 🙂 so please, stir gently.
- Transfer to ice cream tubs and freeze until ready to serve.
This is not a very sweet ice cream, you can add more sugar or sweeten the strawberry sauce more, if you think its sweetness is not enough for you.
Taste the mixture and adjust as needed.
For the strawberries, frozen or fresh works just fine, I always use frozen (it’s cheaper here). I measure 450g and chopped half of it and make syrup from the other half.
For cheesecake bits, crumb the cheesecake and let freeze until ready to stir in to the ice cream mixture, this will add flavor and texture as well.
The strawberry chunks I added were unsweetened too.
To make strawberry syrup,
- Puree 2tbsp water and strawberries using your blender.
- Transfer to a small saucepan with a sieve to separate the seeds.
- Add 2 tsp cornstarch. Stir until the cornstarch dissolves.
- Over medium low heat, bring the strawberry to a boil while stirring from time to time and let simmer until the liquid has reduced and the sauce has thicken. Turn off heat.
- Sweeten according to taste. I used store bought strawberry syrup as my sweetener, 2tbsp. Set aside and completely.