it’s pumpkin time!
- 110g cooked elbow macaroni (a little undercooked)
- a tiny pinch of chicken cube (optional)
- 1 1/2 cup water (or more)
- 200g pumpkin (cut into cubes, deseeded and peeled)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup cream cheese spread (any cheese spread will do)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste (i used 1/4 tsp each)
- 2 tbsp butter
- cheese of your choice for topping
- bacon bits
- In a pan, combine water and pumpkin. Bring to a boil until the pumpkin is soft enough to mash. Remove from heat and reserve 1 cup water. Set aside.
- In a blender pitcher, combine the reserved water, pumpkin and the rest of the ingredients (except butter) and blend for few seconds until the texture is fine and smooth.
- Transfer to a saucepan and over medium heat, while stirring continously, bring to a boil . Turn off heat, add butter, stir and set aside.
In a pan over medium low heat, combine macaroni and 1/3 cup sauce. Stir gently and continously, until the sauce clings to the macaroni. Turn off heat and add a little more sauce then stir. Top with your favorite cheese. Serve and enjoy.
In case you prefer this baked,
In a deep dish, combine macaroni and the sauce. Top with more cheese or bread crumbs then bake at 350F for 20-25minutes.
- You don’t want your macaroni fully cooked and you don’t want it al dente either, you just want it a little undercooked. Remember, the heat from the stove or from the oven will still cook the macaroni. We don’t want to end up with a mushy mac n’ cheese.
- You can roast instead of boiling the pumpkin or use canned instead.
- Chiz Whiz and the like will work too.
- But, if you don’t feel like using cheese spread, you may use grated cheddar cheese instead, around 1/2 to 3/4 cup.
You can also pour the sauce on top of your favorite mashed potato 😉