- 1 cup fresh milk
- 1/4 cup ube powder* (see notes)
- 1/4 tsp ube flavoring
- 3 tbsp melted margarine
- 6 tbsp white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp instant yeast
- breadcrumbs for dredging
Optional: 16 pcs. cheese cubes and 16 pcs. ube jam balls
Prepare the dough for 1st Proofing
- Combine milk, ube powder and flavoring, egg and margarine in a bowl and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Combine flour and yeast on the mixing bowl.
- Combine the ube milk mixture with the flour. Using a mixer with dough hook attachment, set the speed to medium low mix for 10 to 15 minutes. NOTE : It will be a very sticky dough.
- Put the dough in an oiled bowl, cover and let proof until doubled in size. I proofed mine for 90 minutes in a warm place.
- Prepare the pan baking by greasing the pan with margarine. Set aside.
Prepare the dough for Baking
- Oil the working the surface and roll out the proofed dough. Divide the dough into 16 balls and dredge into the breadcrumbs.
- Place the balls into the pan. Cover the pan and let proof again until it double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and bake the pandesal for 18 to 20 minutes.
Serve hot and enjoy!
In case you want your pandesal to have a filling like ube and cheese, AFTER dividing the dough into 16 pcs. fill each ball with the desired filling, seal and dredge into the breadcrumbs, THEN follow the next steps. (See Prepare the dough for Baking).
- I used PUREBLENDS Ube Powder, as you noticed, I did not rehydrate the ube powder prior to mixing it with other ingredients this is because, this kind of ube powder is ready to use and can easily dissolve with milk or water.
2. It will be a STICKY dough but will give you soft and fluffy pandesal and will remain soft for a couple of days.
I hope you enjoy this pandesal as much as we did!