- 300 to 500g chicken thighs (or any part you want)
- 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 to 1 cup syrup from canned pineapple chunks
- oil for frying and sauteing
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 medium green bell pepper (or red or both)
- 1 cup canned pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 small onion, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup milk (or coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tsp water
- fish sauce to season
- In a bowl, combine chicken, pineapple syrup, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- On medium heat, preheat pan with oil
- Pan fry carrots, halfway through cooking add bell pepper, cook for 2 minutes. Transfer to plate, set aside.
- On the same pan, fry pineapple chunks for 4 minutes. Transfer half to a plate and set aside.
- Add onion then garlic, cook until fragrant. Add chicken pieces, cook for 4 minutes each side then add the pineapple syrup mixture and water. Cover, lower the heat and let simmer until fully cooked, turn the chicken occasionally for even cooking.
- Add milk, carrots, bellpepper and pineapple chunks. Season as needed.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture (slurry) and bring to boil or until the sauce thickens a little. Remove from heat and serve with hot rice.
I do not suggest using fresh pineapple for this dish even if its in season.
Taste your pineapple syrup before use, in my experience here in KSA, there are times that it can be sweet enough and there are times that its too sweet. In case your pineapples are too sweet for your liking, add some hot water., if its sour, add sugar.
Add more pineapple syrup if you noticed that it is still lacking in pineapple flavor. But if you want a creamy sauce, add more milk.
If you want it more saucy and you ran out of pineapple syrup, add hot water and season.